Using a different search engine can improve privacy and provide more diverse results. iPhone and iPad users can change their search engine using this guide.
Apple offers the Safari web browser as the default web browser on iPhone and iPad. However, you might want to use something else like Google Chrome or Firefox. Using a different browser on iOS or iPadOS is quite simple, but you can also change the web browser search engine on iPhone or iPad.
Changing the search engine in Safari, Google Chrome or other browsers on iPhone or iPad is simple. This guide will show you how to do it on four different web browsers available on iPhone and iPad.
How to Change Safari Search Engine on iPhone or iPad
Safari is the default web browser on iOS and iPadOS, but you might not like the search engine. Luckily, you can change it by doing the following:
- On your iPhone or iPad, launch Settings from the home screen.
- Swipe down and tap Safari from the list.
- In the next menu, press Search engine (you will see what is currently set on this screen).
- Tap the search engine you want to use in Safari from the list.
The change is applied immediately. The next time you attempt to search in Safari, search results will be returned using the search engine you selected.
How to Change Google Chrome Search Engine on iPhone or iPad
If you don’t want to use Safari, Google Chrome is a popular alternative web browser for your iPhone or iPad. However, you might want to change the default search engine in Chrome from Google to something else.
You can choose to use a privacy-focused alternative like DuckDuckGo. You may just not like the results you see and prefer to switch to something like Bing instead.
To change the search engine in Google Chrome on your iPhone or iPad:
- Launch it Google Chrome application.
- Press the three dots icon in the lower right corner (next to Tabs button) and select Settings.
- On the next screen, tap Search engine from the list.
- Now tap on the search engine you want to use. It lists most of the big names you should recognize, but different regions vary. For example, you might find YandexComment Where Yahoo! India depending on your location.
The change is applied immediately, so you can exit the menu once you’ve chosen a new search engine to test it out.
How to Change Search Engine in Firefox on iPhone or iPad
Mozilla Firefox is another popular browser for iPhone and iPad users. It has some additional search engine features that other browsers don’t have. Most importantly, it includes fast search engines and the ability to add your own.
To change the default search engine in Firefox on an iPhone or iPad:
- To throw firefox on your device and tap the menu icon in the lower right corner.
- Faucet Settings in the context menu.
- In the To look for menu, tap your existing search engine in the Default search engine section.
- You will need to select an alternative: tap the search engine you want to use from the list.
As with other browsers, your change is active immediately. Tap the menu and try it out to see what the results look like. If you’re not satisfied, repeat the steps above to switch to another search engine.
How to Change Search Engine in Microsoft Edge on iPhone or iPad
The new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge browser is cross-platform. This means you can use the browser on Windows, Android, and Apple devices, including iPhone and iPad.
As a Microsoft browser, the default search engine is set to Bing. If you want to change it, do the following:
- To throw Microsoft Edge on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap the three-dot icon at the bottom, then tap Settings from the menu.
- Faucet General in the following Settings menu.
- In the General menu, touch Select search engine.
- Finally, choose the search engine you want to set as default.
Search the web on Apple devices
By following the steps above, you can quickly change your browser’s search engine on an iPhone or iPad, no matter what web browser you are using.
Switching search engines can be beneficial, so if you’re bored of Google or Bing, don’t be afraid to try something else. We haven’t covered all available browsers, but the idea is basically the same everywhere – just head to the Settings > Search Engine menu (or similar) and select a new search engine to use.
If you’re interested in your privacy settings, you can run an App Privacy Report on your iPhone or iPad to see if you can make changes. Another thing you should do is block ad tracking on an iPhone or iPad to prevent ads from following you from site to site.